Sunday, September 29, 2024

Social Distortion Live in Edmonton Sept.22nd 2024

 

 Last Sunday Cuz and I went to the Social Distortion show at the Midway Music Hall here in Edmonton. This would be my 6th time seeing them in concert. We have had the tickets for this show since May 2023. The show was originally scheduled for July 2023 but was postponed due to lead singer of Social D, Mike Ness being diagnosed with tonsil cancer. Thankfully Mike has made a full recovery and were able to make their way back up to Edmonton to play two sold out shows.

 Orange County, California's Social Distortion hit the stage opening with "So Far Away" from their self titled 1990 album. I was wondering how Mike Ness was going to sound after going through the health problems of last year, but happy to say Mike sounds like he always has, which is rough around the edges, just the way us Social D fans want. He also looked to be healthy and in good spirits. It seemed it took a few songs before the sound wasn't muddy, which is weird considering they had played the same venue the night before. But by the third song it was sounding good, or maybe it was just me getting used to the sound. Regardless, it was sounding better as the show went on. The band did a great job with their song selection doing at least one song from every album of theirs. They did two other songs from the self titled album including "Ball And Chain" and "Story Of My Life", the second last song of the night, which had the crowd singing along.

 It was awesome to hear "Mommy's Little Monster" and "Creeps" from their 1983 debut album. Like I say they did a great job of doing songs from almost all their albums. Have a look at the setlist and you will see. Ya, I'm getting lazy writing this review. As per usual, Mike and band closed out the show with a rocking version of Johnny Cash's "Ring Of Fire". A great night of old school punk rock.

Social D at Midway Music Hall.











 Opening the show was another California band The BellRays. I had never listened to the band until a few weeks before the show, and from what I listened to, I wasn't all that impressed. But I still wanted to see them live, so Cuz and I made sure to be there in time to see them. Well, I have to say they were much better live then on album. I didn't realize they had been around since 1990. A lot of the people in the crowd seemed to be into them. Lead singer Lisa Kekaula has got one hell of a voice and stage presence. Glad we caught them. Good times!!!

The BellRays.





T-shirt front.


Back.







No comments:

Post a Comment