So AC/DC came through town again, and again playing Commonwealth Stadium, this is the third time the band has played this 60,000 capacity outdoor stadium. I was interested in going but tickets were incredibly expensive. Upwards of $400 for seats in the boonies. Way too expensive for me, and I had seen the band more than a few times, so it was a pass for me. But the day before the show, out of curiosity I checked to see if ticket prices had dropped at all. Much to my surprise, I could get tickets for a hundred dollars. My partner Janis had never seen the band in concert before, so I bit the bullet and got Janis, Buzzard and I tickets. Shitty that the show was on a Sunday night, but we were going regardless.
With the summer we have been having you never know what the weather would be like for this outdoor show. I'm happy to say that it ended up being a beautiful night for the show.
Opening the show was a band called The Pretty Reckless from New York City. I'd heard the name before but never listened to them. Much to my surprise they were a great opening act. Their music would be best described as hard rock. They had the crowd rocking out. Lead singer Taylor Momsen has a great voice and her band rocked hard too. I just learned that lead singer Taylor was a teenage actress having acted in the show Gossip Girl as Jenny Humphrey and also played Cindy Lou Who in the 2000 movie How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Who knew? I sure didn't!
By the time AC/DC hit the stage, the crowd had grown to 50,000 plus, the weather was perfect and the crowd was ready to rock the fuck out! And rock out we did! From the first note of the Bon Scott era song "If You Want Blood (You've Got It)" to the closing notes of "For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)" everyone at the show got a damn good loud rock n' roll show. I was very surprised to hear them open with "If You Want Blood", I was not expecting that. This was my fifth time seeing the band in concert.
While lead singer Brian Johnson may not have the voice he once did, but at the age of 78 the guy is still up there giving it his best. And Angus Young, what can ya say, he is the riff master, he didn't stop moving around the stage slaying it out on guitar, doing his duck walk and just looking to be having a really good time, as did Brian. I though the song selection was strong "Back In Black", "Shot Down In Flames", "Hells Bells", "Have A Drink On Me", "Highway To Hell", "Sin City", just so many classics. Of course they had to play "Thunderstruck", a song I just don't like. That's when I stepped away for a quick smoke. Other classics player "Jailbreak", "Shoot To Thrill", "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap", "Whole Lotta Rosie" an extended version of "Let There Be Rock" where Angus must have done about a fifteen minute guitar solo, that got a little boring after a while but you gotta give it to the man that at 71 years old, he still fucking rocks!
What a super fun show this was, I'm so glad that I went and Janis got to see them for the first time. This show was way better than I was expecting. Good times!!!
T-shirt front.
T-shirt back.















No comments:
Post a Comment