Monday, August 3, 2026

The Bouncing Souls Live in Edmonton July 14th 2026

 


 My buddies Nazz, A-Bomb and I went to this show at Midway Music Hall headlined by The Bouncing Souls with opening bands The Drowns, Death By Stereo and The Suicide Machines. A damn good bill of punk rock.

 The first band of the night and one of the main reasons I went to this show was The Drowns from Seattle, Washington. My brother Citrus introduced me to this band and have been waiting to see them live for a while now. I was finally getting my chance to see them, so we made sure to be at the venue early.

 The Drowns did not disappoint. They were loud, they were punk and they were exactly what I was hoping to see and hear. A three piece band that rocked for the whole half hour set. I was hoping to hear lots of songs from their album Blacked Out, as that is the album I have listened to the most. They only did one song from that album, that being the rocking "Ketamine & Cola". They played some new songs from their up coming new release Harsh Reality songs titles I recall were "Relentless", "Vengeance" and "Hellish Tattoo". An awesome band, I look forward to seeing them again, hopefully headlining.

The Drowns.







 Next up was Orange County, California's hardcore band Death By Stereo. This would be my 3rd time seeing them in concert, it had been 25 years since the last time I saw then live. While I'm not the fan of hardcore music as I once was they put on a good show. Lead singer Efrem Schulz is still a very intense lead man. On this tour Efrem mentioned they had a local bass player filling in as their usual bass player couldn't get across the border. I didn't catch his name but he did a great job. Overall it was good to see Death By Stereo again.

Death By Stereo.







 The third band of the evening was The Suicide Machines a ska punk band from Detroit, Michigan. This would be my second time seeing the band in concert. On this tour the band was playing their debut 1996 album Destruction By Definition in full.. Out of all the bands at this show, they were my least favourite. My buddy A-Bomb said they were his fave. I'm just not into the ska thing like I was in the late 90's. They were good and do what they do well. Just not my thing.

The Suicide Machines.




 Next up was headliners The Bouncing Souls from New Brunswick, New Jersey. This would be my 4th time seeing them in concert. The last time being in 2003, so it was a long time coming to get to see them again. I did see lead singer Greg Attonito do a solo acoustic show last summer at The Buck here in Edmonton, that was a cool show to see.

 The Bouncing Souls have been around since 1989 and other than the drummer it's all still original members. They are still a great live band, playing for an hour and a half with a selection of songs from almost all their albums. Opening the set was the song "Kate Is Great" from their self titled 1997 album. So many good songs I can't remember all of them, here are what I do recall, hell this show was almost a month ago now, so the memory of what was played is a little fuzzy, that and I had a few beers in me by the time The Bouncing Souls came on. Songs played "East Coast, Fuck You!" a great sing along song short but fun. Others played "The Ballad Of Johnny X", "Kids And Heroes", "Hopeless Romantic", "I Like Your Mom", "Here We Go" and of course the song that had everyone singing along "Lean On Sheena". The band sounded great, a very fun show. Good times!!!

The Bouncing Souls.







T-shirt.





No comments:

Post a Comment